What are Antidepressant Drugs?
Antidepressant drugs can be defined as a psychiatric medication that are used to facilitate mood disorders, like dysthymia and other major depression. Some of the most commonly associated drug can be Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs), Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs), Tetracyclic Antidepressants (TeCAs), and Serotonin-norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs). These medications are generally prescribed by Psychiatric and other general physicians. Effectiveness and Adverse effects of antidepressant drugs are the main subject for many studies and completing claims.
Drug such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), is popularly known as anti depressants drug and are categorized under new generation of antidepressant drugs, though they are in use for more than 19 years. Antidepressant drugs are generally known as prescription drugs and as they affect the health of the patient in a significant way, they cannot be purchased without being prescribed or directed by a qualified physician. They can be easily available with general drug store, however they are not mild non prescription drug. The availability of Antidepressant drugs in general drug store shows its reaching effects and also the need for using them befittingly on medical reason.
Some facts about antidepressant drugs for better understanding:
- Antidepressant drugs usually takes few weeks to months time to show its curing effects, therefore one should not discontinue his regular dosage, if he/she doesn’t find any changes in few weeks. In most cases the 1st drug is always being accompanied or supplemented with 2nd drug even if they are consumed properly for about 4-6 weeks. It is been estimated that 40% of the patients get benefited from 1st drug. Therefore patient should not get disheartened if doctor refer 2nd drug for the treatments of the same, 60% of the patient usually face this situation.
- If a patient feels better and there is no sign of depression observed within 2-3 months, it clearly proves that the right drug has been administered.
- As all other drugs have or may have certain side effects, antidepressant drugs even have certain side effects such as excessive perspiration, lowered sexual desire in both men and women, weight gain, and constipation etc. These side effects are temporary and disappear as soon as the medication is stopped.
- In case of Antidepressant drugs the signs on side effects or negative are observed before the signs of positive effects, due to this reason many patients refuse to continue with medication process. This tendency hinder the treatment process of depression.
- It is been observed that patients suffering from depression, starts the treatment with regular consumption of antidepressant drugs, as soon as he discover the disappearance of symptoms, he stops the regular course. This may develop the chance of recurrent depression (Re-appearance of symptom for depression). Therefore the treatment should continue for about a year.
- In few cases, depression is caused due to unpredicted situation such as divorce, Love failure, loss of beloved one’s, Loosing of job, etc. Here, disappearance of the cause might result in disappearance of depression and therefore is no recurrence either.
- If anti depressant or anti-anxiety drugs are consumed with alcohol, they might produce adverse effects. The patient should take the exact recommended dosage. Skipping doses or consuming a half doses make the treatment ineffective.
- So, whenever treatment has to be stopped, it must be done gradually and only by the advice of your doctor. This may help in monitoring the changes and event of recurrence of depression, the treatment can be again started immediately with proper precautions.